Thursday, September 11, 2008

May Peace and Tranquility Return Once More

Every year on this anniversary, I come back to these words written by Anne Frank and quoted by a rabbi at the non-denominational service I attended on September 12th, 2001 at an Anglican chapel not far from my apartment in Amsterdam:
"It's Difficult at times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impratical. Yet I cling to the them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.

It's utterly impossible for me to build my life on a foundation of chaos, suffering and death. I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for better, that this cruelty will too come to an end, that peace and tranquility will return once more."
Coming back to these thoughts yet again seem even more relevant this year as I reflect on all that has transpired in these 7 years and feeling as though we are all standing on a great precipice. I pray to God we make the right choice this time.

No comments: