You won't believe these statistics! I mean... who would ever even THINK about engaging in these kinds of activities???
• Non-work related Internet surfing results in up to a 40% loss in productivity each year at American businesses.- Gartner Group (Umm, compared to what? Compared to productivity pre-internet? Come on, no way).
• 85.6% of employees use office email for personal reasons.- NFO Worldwide (who are the the other 14.4%? I feel sorry for them. They must be orphans)
• 70% of all web traffic to Internet pornography sites occurs during the work hours of 9am-5pm.- Sex Tracker (well, it's always "work hours" in at least one time zone at any given moment)
• 92% of online stock trading occurs from the workplace during work hours. (that sounds like work to me)
• 64% of employees have received politically incorrect or offensive emails at work.- Business Week (I meant to talk to you about that Ashbloem. Please stop it.)
• 30% of American workers watch sports online while at work. (Is it MY fault that Wimbledon takes place during the day?? Those tennis players should play at more convenient times)
• 24% of American workers admit to shopping online while at work. (I swear I only buy shoes at Zappos.com during my lunch break!)
• 30 to 40% of Internet use in the workplace is not related to business.- IDC Research (Define "business". Having pretty shoes definitely is related to business in my book)
• 37% of workers say they surf the Web constantly at work.- Vault.com (Really? Are you sure it isn't more than that? Go check again)
• 77.7% of major U.S. companies keep tabs on employees by checking their e-mail, Internet, phone calls, computer files, or by videotaping them at work.- American Management Association (uh-oh.)
• 63% of companies monitor workers' Internet connections and 47% store and review employee e-mail.- American Management Association (The AMA clearly can't make up their mind. See previous statistic)