Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bah. Humbug.

I am having a hard time really getting into the Christmas spirit.

Maybe it's because we have nary a Christmas decoration in our apartment-- not a tree, not an angel, not even a display of the beautiful Christmas cards I have received (though I am so grateful of every one). Decorating the house when you aren't actually spending Christmas in your own home somehow feels a little strange (leaving for Boston in Christmas Eve). Though I suppose we could have strung some lights to make the place festive. Is it too late? Maybe not.

Maybe it's because I am super crazy busy at work-- our busiest of the year are the weeks leading up to Christmas and New Year's when tourists descend like termites into New York City, running around eating up all the free space and walking all slowly on the sidewalk blocking fast walkers such as myself. But despite being so busy, I am cutting the hours of my part-time staff because it should be EVEN BUSIER this time of year. l suddenly feel nervous that I might not have a job if things continue as they are. Thinking of traveling to NYC? Boy do I have a deal for you. Hotel prices are a fraction of what they were last year.

Maybe it's because the shortest day of the year is quickly approaching, December 21st, and the lack of sunlight is really getting to me, despite my happy light on the desk. Maybe I should have considered the prozac this winter. Definitely too late for that.

Maybe it's because I am dreaming of living in a place where I can invite my friends and family to join us in our home holiday spirit. But that's not happening anytime soon. Well, not this Christmas anyway.

I don't know. This year just feels a bit off. Maybe once I get to Boston and join my sister (TWINS TWINS TWINS!) and my Mamma, I will get a flaming shot of holiday joy. Sadly D. isn't coming with me this year, so we'll have our own private Christmas on a date to be determined. That's something to definitely look forward to.

No comments: