Monday, May 09, 2005

"It's Not Too Late. God Still Loves You..."

That's what the cashier at Macy's said to me yesterday afternoon. And she wasn't refering to my hesitation on whether or not to buy a new cocktail dress for my upcoming trip (of course you know I bought it, right? It's black, sparkly, and... oh, sorry back to topic)...

This is how the conversation went:

Gina the Cashier: Hi, how are you today?
Me: Fine, thank you. How are you?
Gina: [no answer]
Me: Wow, look at that price! I can't believe how cheap those jeans are!
Gina: Well, it's nice to get yourself a Mother's Day present.
Me: Yes, I like getting myself presents, but I am not a mother.
Gina: You're not? Huh. Well, don't worry. It's not too late. God still loves you.
Me: [laughs nervously] Yes, well that is good news.


In truth, I wanted to ask Gina how she was so sure about this. But I thought it was best to keep quiet; there was a line forming quickly behind me and a debate on the existence of God and whether or not he truely does love me and will in turn manifest that love for me through the gift of children didn't seem appropriate. Maybe I'll go back later this week to see Gina and find out more. Or maybe I'll go back just to get that cute little skirt that I left on the sale rack instead.

No comments: