Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Bay(by) Watch Continues

The Baby Watch continues though I think Erin is getting pretty close. It looks like next year we will be celebrating their first birthday along with our wedding (which is just about 1 year away now).

Speaking of the wedding, one of the more important decisions I have to make is about photographers. Photography is really important to me, especially it's the one aspect (other than the marriage itself) that you take away with you. The flowers?Ditched the next day. The music? Forgotten. The dress? Likely to be stored away in some closet. But the photos...they last.

When Dad married Jan, nearly 20 years ago now, their photographer delivered terrible shots. I remember that they took pictures of the proofs, just to hang on to some images of the day, but otherwise the images weren't worth the price to pay for them. I dread that happening to us. They must have been so disappointed.

There is a photographer I really like, who has beautiful images (and does a very cool book documenting the day) and she has shot tons of weddings at our ceremony/reception site. In fact, she was the wedding photographer for the F&B manager (basically the on-site party manager) for the Sundy House. She is good but of course she is expensive, maybe about $1100 more than I had planned to spend, including the pictures (digial), the wedding book, a DVD, an engagement photo shoot and a lifetime portrait deal. If I cut out all the extras, I am sure I can get the price down, but still she will be expensive.

There is another photographer, who seems to do weddings on the side of his documentary and photojournalism career. He is basically no frills-- you get a CD of all the images with complete rights for printing and editing. But, he comes in about $900 LESS than what I had planned to spend. I like his work, but feel nervous that this isn't really his speciality.

I am definitely torn.

No comments: