Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Letter to the children

Dear Little Ones,

As you grow, the memory of this day will fade, if you were lucky to experience it at all. Maybe you won't actually remember, but the lasting images on the internet and TV will fill in the gap. I imagine this day is for me is like landing on the moon was for my parents: a momentous occasion, a barrier broken, a reality different on the dawn than the day prior, a hope that the rest of the mission all works out for the best.

We don't know if he will be great, or even good. But the fact that millions of people came together today to celebrate something different, unites us all. The door is open a little wider, and regardless of your political affiliation, though I hope you grow up to be democrats, this is a very good thing indeed. We need more diversity in our government. We need new voices and fewer career politicians.

If we are lucky, when you get older you will look back on this day and possibly think, what's the big deal? Hopefully when you are grown, today's complex attitudes thrown towards race, gender, affiliation, and orientation will seem dim in light of a more advanced outlook. The way I look back at segregation in our not so distant history-- a ridiculous, embarrassing and unnecessary movement.

I want to hold the hope of today in the palm of my hand and hang on tight. I am dreading the first, and inevitable, mistake he will make. I fear the apathy, frustration, and anger held close to my heart these last 8 years and wish to let go of them forever. I pray for transparency, peace, intelligence, and equality in this administration. And I pray that once we receive the respect of these values, the American people will never accept anything less.

Today was a great day.

Much love,
Interravision.

No comments: