Monday, October 06, 2008

This made me laugh and cry. A letter and response from the archives.

May 1997
Fax To: Dad
From: Terra (somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean)
SS Universe Explorer
Re: Another change in plans....

* * *

Dad- Help! I need some advice. I have just received an offer to stay on the ship for 2-4 more months working in the same job but doing Alaska cruises. Pay is $225 per week+ room + board + return flight ticket home after (more than I make now). I can't decide...Part of me says yes because: 1) would love to see Alaska. 2) since passengers are all adults, it would be a good way to get feedback on my hotel idea (and get support?) 3) good experience. But: 1) I am so tired. 2) Since it would be a "real cruise" I would have to dress up and be much more formal than I have to be now. 3) Since the routes up Alaska are repetitive it could get boring. If I decide yes, I will send you the $$ to cover my bills and insurance. I can't do another 4 months, but 2 is very tempting. What do you think? I need to respond ASAP, so any feedback would be great. I am so torn! I miss and love you-- Terra


May 1997 (same day)
Fax To: Terra
From: Dad
Re: Another change in plans....

* * *

Finally got your fax. My advice - Go for it! I'll miss not having you home as expected. However, it sounds like a good opportunity. Love, Dad

No comments: